Curator New Feature Spotlight: Updated Guided Tutorials
March 29, 2022
This post is an update to a previous blog about guided tutorials. This up-to-date post features current features and UI.
You know what they say: a picture is worth a thousand words. Well, when it comes to the guided tutorials feature in Curator, you can either use your thousand words to describe each part of a dashboard, or you can use the new highlight image functionality to build guided tutorials. The choice is yours, but with the popularity of TL;DR (too long; didn’t read) summaries on long articles, I’d lean toward using the feature if I were you.
Using my own advice, instead of typing out a long description of what the guided tutorial functionality can do, I’ll save my aching fingertips and show a simple visual demonstration of it in action:
To learn how to create a guided tutorial, here’s a guided tutorial:
And for those who want to read through the steps as well, here they are:
- Log into your portal’s backend, and click on Tableau > Tutorials in the left navigation.
- Click on the button at the top to add a new tutorial.
- Fill in the various details at the top.
- Click on the button to add a new content item. Each content item will display as a new page/slide of the guided tutorial.
- Fill in the details for the content item and select a screenshot to use as your highlight image. Please note that you’ll need to create this screenshot and upload it to the Backend > Content > Files area if you haven’t already done so.
- Use your mouse to draw a square on the preview image. This square will be used as the highlighted portion of the screenshot.
- Repeat steps 4 through 6 for each page/slide of your guided tutorial. Once you’re happy with it, click the Create button at the top.
- Add your new tutorial to the desired content. For example, you can add it to dashboards by navigating to Tableau > Dashboards > click on your dashboard > Misc tab > Education section > Tutorial dropdown and click Save. Other options include a homepage tutorial, global tutorial or specific pages.